Friday, May 27, 2011

Looking Back - Recipe Card Box

Pin It

Hello, everybody!

This is LeAnn, a new member of Krisi's CT.  I can be found as ScaccoGirl over in the gallery and forums at ScrapMatters.  I'm here with today's episode of Looking Back.

Today we'll be taking a look at a project I made using Krisi's "Box it up: 3x5 card box" template:


I decided to go with the food theme of the recipe box and chose Erica Zane's What's Cooking? {the whole batch} kit to go with it:


Only, the finished product will not actually hold recipes.  It's going to hold photos!
Grandma Merry LOVES to have photos of her grandkids,  and I had some pics of her making a pancake breakfast for us the last time we were at her house.  Sounds like the perfect recipe to me! (Hee! Hee!  I love puns!) :)

Here's how it happened:

I chose papers and elements for the box template.  Krisi's template includes "divider" tabs, too, so I chose complementary papers for those.  I saved each piece as a jpg file and took the files to Office Max on a flash drive to have them printed on heavy cardstock.  Their laser printer gives the images a bit of a sheen and makes the project look more professional.  It's nice, but, of course, not necessary, especially since Krisi's templates print on regular letter-size paper.


I wanted to make sure the box was really sturdy, since it was a recipe box, so I found some cardboard backing and glued the cardstock to it.  After the glue dried, I cut around the template and scored the fold lines with a bone folding tool.  I used another piece of cardboard as a guide.


 Then I folded the pieces and glued the front/bottom together and the back/top together.  Because the cardboard was so stiff, I used rubber bands to keep the pieces in place.



When those dried, I glued the two pieces together to complete the box.  I also used a bunch of rubber bands for that step.


After it dried I added a dot of velcro with sticky backing to keep the lid closed.


For the "recipes", I made little 3" x 5" canvases and scrapped layouts of our breakfast fun.


I cut those out, along with the divider tabs, and put them in the box.  Voila!  





[NOTE TO READERS:  Please do not think that, in regards to hybrid, you either "have it" or "you don't", because, in general, hybrid projects are a bit of a trial and error experiment.  Case in point: I glued the cardstock to the cardboard, then cut it, then scored it, and then glued it all together.  Because my cardboard was so thick and stiff, the folded edges of the cardstock sort of "popped" and frayed a little bit on the outside.  Now, it wasn't enough to throw the whole thing out and start over.  I really had two options:  take a bit of glue and smooth the fray, or I could have inked the edges of the box.  I decided to glue down the worst parts of the fray, and let the rest look "antiqued."  In retrospect, I could have cut out the pieces of cardstock and cardboard separately, scored and folded them, and then glued them together, trimming the cardboard layer underneath where it would stick out farther than the top layer of cardstock.  But I went with it, and I love how it turned out!  Don't be afraid to try hybrid because something might go wrong.  If it does - it just adds character! :) ]

I hope you enjoyed this project.  If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment here, or PM me in the ScrapMatters forum.

Have a great weekend!
LeAnn

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. A FANTASTIC tut, LeAnn! Thanks for showing off this adorable project - and sharing some great how-to tips along the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all,

    It's beautiful! Recipe card boxes are made by local craftsmen from locally salvaged hardwood. All the boxes are unique and hand-crafted. This decorative wood Recipe Box is a great way to organize all your recipes. Thank you...

    Recipe Card Box

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi..all

    Nice blog..!!

    Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this.A decorated Recipe Card Box can be presented as a gift to loved ones and friends. Some designers use special carpentry skills to make beautiful boxes which are not only beautiful to look at but also very practical.

    Thanks..

    Recipe Card Box

    ReplyDelete